Technology is constantly changing and every device that you use is always getting upgraded or outdated depending on the features it has. Although there are various operating systems in the market available for users to invest in, Microsoft Windows is the number one choice for people all across the globe for various reasons. One of the best things about Microsoft is that it is user-friendly and constantly working towards making improvements and providing users with something more effective and interesting for them.
The Telemetry feature is one of the latest introductions to the computing world that has put Microsoft under the scanner. While some people believe that Telemetry is a beneficial software that helps to enhance user experience, there are others who believe that it’s a total invasion of privacy and Microsoft has taken it too far by trying to collect data just so they can enhance the experience.
People believe that it’s important to keep their private affairs personal and with this software upgrade it’s not easy to cover up your internet activities. It’s like someone is always keeping an eye on you. This makes it tough for people to do what they want online without the fear on being judged or spied on.
While data collection is great to help enhance the experience of the end user, doing it without their knowledge or permission and doing it constantly can make the user uncomfortable. The thought of all your personal data getting leaked out is never a good feeling and it takes away from the comfort of surfing the internet the way you want to and with the freedom you always enjoy.
Why It’s Used
When Microsoft first started out, there wasn’t much competition and most people chose Microsoft because of the convenience as well as availability. These days there are a number of operating systems available in the market for people to choose from and while Microsoft is still leading with the number of systems out there, they needed something that could help to enhance the experience of their users which is why they decided on developing a software that could help them provide their users with what they were looking for.
This software basically helps to collect data from your system and send it back to Microsoft so that they can determine the kind of user you are and provide your system with apps and upgrades that best suit your system. In order for you to make the most out of this, you need to keep Telemetry active, however, in most cases it is known to cause more trouble than be beneficial to the user which is why it is best to stop the program from running and eliminate the feature from your system. This can be done easily with the right steps.
Why You Should Disable Microsoft Telemetry
With the advent of new technology, Microsoft has taken a very proactive step with the Microsoft Telemetry process. While this process is useful for new upgrades and newer laptops, there are users that find this process eating into their disk space as well as CPU usage. There are times when the laptop or computer lags because of Microsoft Telemetry running in the background and collecting data. If you are one of those users that are annoyed with how Microsoft Telemetry works, then here are a few tips that will help you disable the Microsoft Telemetry that runs in the background.
Registry Editor Disabling
One of the ways that you can disable the Microsoft Telemetry process is through the registry editor. Here are a few steps that you need to follow to get it done.
- You need to hold down the Windows key and then press the R key. This will open the Run window. In the window, you need to type the word regedit and then click on the OK button or hit enter.
- Then the registry editor opens up. In this window, you will need to find the ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE’ category. You will see this in the left side column. Once you find this category, expand it using the arrow that you will find next to it. The you need to find the category titled ‘SOFTWARE’ and after that ‘Policies’, after that ‘Microsoft’, next ‘Windows’ and lastly ‘Data Collection’ folder.
- Once you find the ‘Data Collection Preview Builds’ folder, you need to right click on it and then select ‘New > DWORD (32-bit) Value’
- Once you do this, a new window will open. At the top of that window, you will see a ‘Value Name’ box. There you need to fill it with ‘Allow Telemetry’. Next you will see the ‘Value Data’ box. Here you need to type ‘0’. After that you need to click ok to confirm.
- Next you need to check the CPU usage as well as the disk usage through the task manager. Your problem of Microsoft Telemetry process taking up too much of both should be resolved.
Group Policy Editor Disabling
You can disable the Microsoft Telemetry process through the group policy editor as well. Here is how you need to get it done.
- Hold down the Windows key and then press the R key. This will open the run window. In this window, you need to type gpedit.msc. Once you have done this, press enter on your keyboard or press OK on the window.
- Next the group policy editor window will open. Here you need to find the ‘Computer Configuration’ category. You will find this category on the left hand side of the window. You then need to expand it by clicking on the arrow next to it. The you need to find the ‘Administrative Templates’ category under the expanded field. Then you need to look for ‘Windows Components’ and lastly the ‘Data Collection and Preview Builds’ category.
- Once you select the ‘Data Collection and Preview Builds’ category, the column on the right will change and a number of different services will show up there. From that list you need to find the ‘Allow Telemetry’ service and double click on it.
- Once you double click it, it will open up a new window. You will see three options on the top left hand corner in that window. This will be right next to the comment box. These three options will be Not Configured, Disabled and Enabled. You need to click on the Disabled option and click ok after you have done that.
- Once you exit the window, you can check how the CPU usage as well as the disk usage has been affected. These steps should solve the problem that you are facing.